I signed up for this year-long e-course with Kim Klassen entitled Beyond Layers. I wanted to learn more about Photoshop and this course promised all that. Kim also stated that there would be “other” inspirational projects offered in this course through the year. Some of these “other” projects turned out to be creative writing exercises, which surprised me, but boy have I learned tons about myself, putting pen to paper. The exercise this week was to write 10 truths about myself so here goes:
1. The 1st thing you need to know about me is that I am tough as nails. I didn’t know this about myself a year ago. However, cancer, 2 surgeries, radiation, and chemo have a way of revealing the very core of oneself. I am tough as nails.
2. I have the great fortune to be married to my best friend, 31 years and counting.
3. I have a beautiful son, grown now and mapping his own way in the world. He has a kind smile, a quick wit, and has taught me much about the virtue of patience.
4. We share our lives & our home with a 3-legged cat we call Peg. All my life it seems stray cats are finding me and it was true with Peg. As with most cats, she is often aloof. But occasionally she will jump on the table where I’m working and butt her head against mine. I think she cares for me more than she wants to.
5. I’m an organizational freak. Our spice cabinet is alphabetized. When my husband cooks, he leaves the spices on the counter for me to put away, to ensure they return to their proper place on the shelf.
6. Along my artistic path, I’ve accumulated a variety of interests; photography, quilting, painting, rubber stamping, assemblage, and collage. I used to think this revealed an inability in myself to focus on one thing, but I’ve discovered a new phrase that describes my sort – a mixed-media artist.
7. Digging in the dirt and planting seeds while birds sing and a breeze kisses the forehead is my favorite time in the garden.
8. I’m up at 4:30am every morning. It is not a choice my brain has made, but one my body can’t ignore. I yearn to sleep till 7.
9. I ask the universe too many questions and receive few answers, but the ones that come humble me.
10. I recently met the old woman inside myself and am happy to report that though she moves a bit slower, her steps are sure. Her arms opened wide and in her embrace I heard her whisper “I love you.” The lump in my throat dissolved in her acceptance.
So, what are your 10 truths? If you would like to share them, please post the direct link to your blog, flickr, etc. where you posted your 10 things.
(photograph above was taken by Brian Hart with Lumix G Vario 14-140mm, f/5.6, ISO 400. I then added a layer that contained a photograph of butterflies painted on silkscreen)